When I was pregnant with my first child I read somewhere that husbands could suffer from Couvade Syndrome. According to Wikipedia, Couvade syndrome, or sympathetic pregnancy, is a condition in which an individual close to an expectant mother, commonly her partner, experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior as the mother near the time of labor. These can include labor pains, postpartum depression, food cravings and restrictions, and weight gain. The labor pain symptom is commonly known as sympathy pain.
I remember thinking how funny and strange this was, and quickly decided that Kevin was gaining weight along with me not because he had this silly syndrome, but because I was craving Taco Bell every single day.
Every.
Day.
And he would get it for me, because he's awesome like that.
Well, fast forward a little bit with me...
My first child is 13. My second, 11.
Both are going through puberty. Fun, right?
NO.
Not fun, because for some reason I'm going through it right along with them.
I'm moody.
Still not convinced?
My voice keeps cracking.
Now? No?
I cannot satisfy my appetite.
I could sleep for HOURS on end.
I'm breaking out like a stinkin' teenager.
Kevin had to go to the store to buy me some zit cream last weekend.
I've never purchased zit cream in my entire life.
So, I've got it...Couvade Syndrome for Puberty.
If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to Wikipedia to add my new entry.
Couvade Syndrome for Puberty, or sympathetic puberty, is a condition in which an individual close to a pubescent teenager, commonly their mother, experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior as the teen during pubescent years. These can include mood swings, voice cracking, food inhalation, and major zit break-outs. Feeling this is commonly called sympathy symptoms.
{and just for clarification--I am NOT pregnant!!!}
5 comments:
Oh this post was hillarious...I SO do not look forward to this...i'll call you for advice when it hits ok?
Oh I love it! I feel your pain darlin.....remember a nervous night on your couch about a year ago? Or...are you sure your not pregnant? Wouldn't that be a twist?
You're too funny :) Seriously though, first time for zit cream? Lucky. Not so lucky for the other stuff ;)
LOL! So funny!
Well, I'm glad your not pregnant because that may be classified as a teen pregnancy. (Dude, I've had zit cream for years!)
Post a Comment