'What win I, if I gain the thing I seek?
A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy.
Who buys a minute's mirth to wail a week?
Or sells eternity to get a toy?
For one sweet grape who will the vine destroy?
~William Shakespeare
Last night at the adult session of our Stake Conference our Stake President referred to this quote by William Shakespeare. In his talk he was reminding us to live providently, to gather our resourses, put together our food supplies, and to be a more prepared people. He reminded us that while so many things in this life, while fun or desireable, are things we can do without and that we need to ask ourselves what we will win if we gain the thing we seek. Is it something that will give us lasting joy, or a sense of fulfillment, or will it only give us momentary happiness?
So, I've decided that this is going to be my creed, my theme, my motto, whatever you would call it...for this upcoming year. I despise New Year's Resolutions, so instead of a resolution I'm going to try, daily, to keep my life, wants, and wishes in perspective by asking myself...
What Win I If I Gain The Thing I Seek ?
Sunday, January 6, 2008
A Gentle Reminder For Me
Labels:
Church Stuff,
Random Thoughts,
Tina
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
A wonderful reminder for all of us! Something I could really work on this year too.
I love it! What inspiration... I'm glad you shared that... such a great reminder and I admire you for deciding to apply it long term :)
Fabulous and inspiring! Thank you Tina for posting that!
Post a Comment